Friday, September 18, 2009

Off to School

This morning was less than ideal. With Hubby off at work, I was left alone to get the girls (twin 4-year-old daughters, Aileen and Izzy) off to school. While I had prepared breakfast the night before, a delicious zucchini bread with hard-boiled eggs, I did not think to find Izzy's missing flipflop - nor did I know it was missing. So although we had dressed, eaten, brushed, and combed in plenty of time, we didn't leave extra minutes for choosing different shoes and the ensuing tantrum. The temperature in the room got turned up quite hot for a few moments, and I threatened to keep her home. This was an idle threat - I have 2 mirrors to design and a kiln to unload before preschool is done. Anyway, we made it. Izzy didn't want to let go of Mom when I dropped her at school, but after hugs and apologies on both sides, she happily joined her sister in class. I was off for home.

Once here, I realized the stuffed animals Aileen had plopped in the bike trailer were no longer in tow. I had left the cover off the trailer, and I fear they bounced out. These are the girls' *favorites* including *LEONARD* the lion Aileen takes EVERYWHERE and uses as a comforting tool! So I hopped back on the bike, and retraced my path all the way back to school. No animals. I went so far as to go into school and check Aileen's locker. No animals. As a last possibility, they may be in the classroom with the girls. Fingers crossed.

So I have finished my morning tea, rather peacefully considering the small anxiety I feel for having possibly lost Aileen's best friend. I am off to the studio. I have two mirror frames to unload from the kiln along with a few experimental dishes. Photos will follow. Then, for the upcoming art show at the Portage Center for the Arts, I have two more mirrors to design and build, and a grouping of tableware to complete. All in 5 days. I work best under pressure, and I'm feeling some pressure.


P.S.  Rest easy, dear friends. Aileen and Izzy put their animals in the backpack's secret pocket - the pocket I neglected to check. Everyone is safe, sound, and happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment